[History Major Announcement] European History Course Offering for Spring 2015

Peter DeSimone ptdesimo at utica.edu
Wed Jan 7 17:48:40 EST 2015

С Рождеством!

Merry Christmas Everyone!  No, I'm not two weeks late as today Russians and
other Orthodox Christians around the world celebrate Christmas today.  I
find it fitting today then to remind you as you may still be considering
courses for the Spring semester that if you are still looking for a
European History course or a fun and interesting class consider taking
History 371: Russian History.  This course will explore the foundations of
the Russian people, their state, their culture, and their history.

While some of you might be saying "Why should I care or want to learn about
Russian History?" or "So what if they celebrate Christmas on a different
day?"  Well, consider that as much as many current politicans want to
refute such ideas, Russia has returned as a major socio-political and
economic force in the world.  Because of this, not since the end of the
Cold War has the mainstream media and American politicians devoted so much
attention and effort to portraying Russia as America’s main adversary.
This course will give many of the answers to the questions such as, what is
Russia and who are the Russians? Are they really so different from us as a
people and country?  So given the current global political situation I
strongly urge everyone to consider enrolling for HIS 371 as while this
course will look the formation of the Russian state and people until 1917,
we will explore the many factors that continue to shape Russia as a society
and culture today and explain the origins of the Russian mindset that
continues to influence Russian culture and politics into the twenty-first
century.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to get in touch with Dr.
De Simone.  I hope to see many of you there!

--
Dr. Peter T. De Simone
Assistant Professor of History